Wednesday, August 12, 2009

So before I go to bed I decided to give you one more recipe.

This one is of course low in fat but still relatively good. It is the classic full of bread calzone that I made yesterday evening. I LOVE bread. Actually it's beyond love. I can't even describe my addiction and desire for bread. Yeah...it's not good. Why does bread have to be soooo good and sooo not good for you?! Of course I have to like the things that I shouldn't...

Corn and Broccoli Calzones

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli florets

  • 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels
  • 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
  • 2/3 cup nonfat ricotta cheese

  • 4 scallions, thinly sliced

  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder

  • 1/4 tsp salt and pepper

  • 20 oz prepared whole-wheat pizza dough

  • 2 tsp canola oil

Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.

Combine broccoli, corn, mozzarella, ricotta, scallions, basil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.




On a floured surface, divide dough into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into 8 in circle. Place as much filling on one half of each circle as you can, leave a border of dough so as to be able to close and seal the calzones. Brush border with water and fold edges over. Seal together with fingertips. Make two slits on the top of each for ventilation. Spray with olive oil cooking spray to give it a nice color when put int he oven. Cook for about 15 min.

Makes 6 calzones (334 calories, 5 g fat, 4 g fiber, 6 points)


This recipe is from the book EatingWell For a Healthy Heart. I liked the bread part of course and the insides were pretty good but my biggest complaint (which was probably my fault) was adding the basil. I used basil from my own garden and knowing me I probably planted some kind of basil only meant for decoration...

Another problem I had was the dough WOULD NOT STAY PUT! I had the hardest time keeping the dough to stay at the 8 in and ended up just quickly putting on some of the mixture an closing the thing up. I also would tell you to watch the cooking time. Since its so high of a temperature I made sure to watch the calzones really carefully in case they burned.

My parents liked them and apparently my friends did as well. After we watched the meteor shower I offered the left overs and they wanted more! At least someone enjoyed them!

Next time no basil...


No comments:

Post a Comment